26 Jun

How Dealer Qualification effects Odds of Casino Hold’em

Real Casino Hold’em Odds: Why it’s not a 50/50 game of chance.

Real Casino Hold'em OddsThere’s no such thing as a 50/50 chance of winning at the casino. Each and every game is designed to give the house an advantage over the player. Big or small, it always exists. Casino Hold’em may seem like a game where players have an equal chance to beat the house. Unfortunately, dealer qualification changes everything.

Since its inception in 2012, LeoVegas has been recognized several times for innovation in the gaming industry. With no less than 15 awards, it has established itself as the hub of real money gaming entertainment in Canada.

Since then LeoVegas has expanded its portfolio of offerings, the most notable addition being a high-end "live dealer casino". To accomplish this feat, LeoVegas invested in state of the art technology, including real time camera systems coupled with top of the line security systems to mimick the brick and mortar casino feel online; and with the most attractive dealers you have ever seen.

LeoVegas covers the entire pantheon of classical games from slots, table games like blackjack, video poker, progressive slots, scratch cards, to casual games. The games are powered by Playson, slick and easy to use software, which offers the whole gamut of a premium gambling experience.

Leovegas
Leovegas
Leovegas
Recommended by Editorial Team for 2020
#1
#2
#3
#4

Casino Hold’em is one of a handful of house-banked games that require the dealer to have a ‘qualifying hand‘ in order for the player to win a full payout. We’ll discuss how the dealer qualification rule effects the odds of Casino Hold’em, and you’re true chances of winning this popular online and live dealer casino game.

Casino Hold’em Dealer Qualification Rule

Players must make two separate wagers in order to take the game to a showdown. The first is the Ante, placed before the hand is dealt. The second is the Call bet, equal to the Ante. Players can make this bet after seeing their hole cards and first three community cards. Or, they can Fold.

If the player folds, however, they instantly lose, forfeiting their Ante bet. If they Call, they have a 50/50 chance of beating the dealer’s hand. However, the payouts don’t reflect those odds. Without the dealer’s need to qualify, players would want to make the Call on every hand, as this truly would be anyone’s game.

Instead, the dealer must have a hand rank of ‘Pair of 4s or better‘ in order to qualify. If not, the player’s Call bet is a push, and is returned to them. Only the Ante bet is paid (according to the Ante Pay Table shown below), and then, only if the player’s hand beats the dealer. If the dealer’s hand does qualify, the player stands to win even money on the Call bet, and a corresponding payout on the Ante. Of course, if the dealer hand wins, both bets are lost.

True Casino Hold’em Odds

Based on these rules, yes, the odds of winning or losing a hand is 50/50. Unfortunately, when the dealer gets a bad hand, you’ll win less money overall. When the dealer gets a good hand, you could win more. But then your odds of beating the dealer’s good hand are lower.

Real Odds of Casino Hold'em

Throw it all together, and you get a house edge that guarantees, over the long term, the casino will win more money than the players.

The actual odds of Casino Hold’em—the theoretical return to player (RTP)—are determined by Ante Pay Table. The most common pay table for Ante bets looks like this:

  • Royal Flush – 100x

  • Straight Flush – 20x

  • 4 of a Kind – 10x

  • Full House – 3x

  • Flush – 2x

  • Anything Less – 1x

Based on this standard pay table for Casino Hold’em, odds favor the house by 2.16%. And that’s with a perfect strategy int he mix. A perfect strategy would see players folding only about 18% of their absolute worst starting hands, and moving forward with the other 82%; (according to the world-renowned expert, Michael Shackleford, at Wizard of Odds).

#1 Canadian-Friendly Casino for 2020

Royal Vegas is our editorial pick for safe Canadian gaming. Currently offering a good range of Canadian deposit options, everything from prepaid gift cards, to eCheck, instadebit and visa/mastercard. That, and a world-class gaming experience, with countless table games, strong variety, and even live dealers. The brand has been in the business for a decade long.

Visit http://RoyalVegas.com